Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 08:16:30 +1100
From:      "Mark Hannon" <mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ft < 50kb/s ??

----------
> > ..., however in
> > the current configuration it is dead slow - It just took me 12 hours
> > to back up 200m of data, according to the manufacturers notes it
>
> You mean, it got slower over time?  Even with a new (and freshly
> formatted) medium?  This would be fairly surprising, since the driver
> hasn't changed except of a few side-effects from global changes.  It's
> basically orphaned (though maybe, i've found a new maintainer).

Yeh, it seemed to get much slower over time.

> Of course, the most important question for you is: does the tape
> remain streaming?  If not, all bets are off, and performance will
> simply suck.  We might then try profiling the driver or the [l]ft
> utility.

If by streaming you mean continuously writing data forward, then
the answer is no.  The tape goes back and forward like a yoyo.

If installed the driver programs under Windows and did a few tests,
the tape drive itself definetly is the culprit, it is dog slow under
Windows as well.

I checked out Conner's homepage and am planning to clean the
drive heads (something I've never done) before checking further.

Regards/Mark