Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:21:33 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@borg-cube.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tekram DC-315U: what kind of chipset, and is it FBSD compatible?

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 19:06:46 -0800, Donald Burr wrote:
> I found a nice SCSI card on ebay that I want to buy:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=253753162
> NEW! Tekram DC315U Ultra SCSI Controller Card
>
> This is an UltraSCSI (narrow 50pin, 20MB/sec) card, and the chipset is
> listed on the spec sheet as "Tekram S1040 Ultra SCSI processor"  I thought
> the Tekram cards used the NCR/Symbios chips on them?  Is this chip merely
> a re-labeled symbios part?  And, most importantly, WILL IT WORK IN
> FREEBSD?

The S1040 is Tekram's own Ultra-Wide (i.e. 16 bit, 20Mhz) SCSI chip.  The
315 just uses that chip in a narrow configuration, and I think the 395 is
an Ultra-Wide board.

You can use it for FreeBSD, since Tekram has written a FreeBSD/CAM driver
for it.  (Tekram is to be commended for supporting FreeBSD!  They also
wrote their own AMD driver, which is in our tree, and their own NCR driver
for FreeBSD.)  You'll have to download the driver from Tekram's web or
ftp site (not sure where it is), and compile a new kernel.

The catch is that at least from the way the driver is written, it doesn't
look like the chip has a SCSI phase engine, so it probably won't perform
very well.  (i.e. several interrupts per transaction)

If you want a Tekram board, I would suggest one of their NCR/Symbios/LSI
based boards.  You can use those with the sym driver, and they will perform
pretty well.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry