Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:46:12 -0400
From:      "Mark T Roberts" <newsletter@marktroberts.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   non-random IP IDs

The other night I did a nessus security scan on my freeBSD box and I got the
following warning.  I am hopping someone on this mailing list can give me a
better idea what this warning means.

Thanks
Mark

NESSUS Warning...
The remote host uses non-random IP IDs, that is, it is
possible to predict the next value of the ip_id field of
the ip packets sent by this host.

An attacker may use this feature to determine if the remote
host sent a packet in reply to another request. This may be
used for portscanning and other things.

Solution : Contact your vendor for a patch
Risk factor : Low