Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:27:28 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        go@dubkat.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape & X 4.0.3

go@dubkat.com writes:
> Hi, I'm trying to install Netscape Navigator 4.76 from the ports tree, and
> it insists on installing some XFree86 3.3.3 libs. Is there a way for me to
> get around this while using XFree86 4.0.3? When I do make install, it gets
> to the build of XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3, and stops w/ an error like "There
> aren't any a.out libraries on your machine. Please install the compat22
> distribution." I'd rather not have any old XFree86 libraries at all, since
> 4.0.3 is working great so far. Any suggestions?

Write to Netscape and ask them to use a modern FreeBSD.

Was once able to use the BSDI version but has been marked broken due to
a buffer overflow.

Bite the bullet. Install the requested comapt22 stuff and let the port
install the a.out XFree86 libraries.

Or find another web browser such as Konquerer (in KDE). But KDE is a
bigger monster than the old a.out libraries.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net