Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:05:02 -0400
From:      Brad Chapman <chapmanb@arches.uga.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.3-Rel Install Prob--.inf's

Hello! I'm currently trying to install 3.3-Release on a self-built computer
(ABIT BX6 r2/Celeron 400) using ftp over a LAN in my home and am getting a
problem with the install program asking for .inf files that don't exist on
the freeBSD ftp sites. Specifically, it was asking for Ports.inf when I
included the option to install the ports collection. If I don't try to
install ports, then I get an error when I get to XFree86, because it looks
for Xfnts.inf.
Searching the archives came up with a similar problem from way back in 2.2
or something, where the solution was to re-do the install floppies. So I
re-did them, making sure to get floppies from the exact same site as the
rest of the distribution (ftp5.freebsd.org), and re-ran it, with the same
problems. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone give me suggestions on what to
try? Below I have detailed my procedure for doing the install.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

Brad Chapman
chapmanb@arches.uga.edu

My Install Procedure:
    Downloaded the entire 3.3-Release directory from ftp5.freebsd.org using
a quick ethernet connection that I have access to.
    Transferred the directory to SuperDisks, and moved it to a Windows 95
computer on my LAN at home (which only has a really slow internet
connection if you are wondering why I don't ftp directly).
    Set up Win95 computer as ftp server using Transsoft's Broker ftp server
3.1.
    Went through disk changing/kernel stuff with no problems. Got to main
install menu.
    Chose X-Developer. Chose yes on ports, all stuff for X-windows.
    Chose ftp install, changed options so the login name is anonymous. Set
up the ftp install to go to the Win95 ftp server computer on my local LAN.
    Connected without a problem, started transferring--bin was fine,
compat* was fine, src was fine.
    Then I got my problem once I got to ports. The ftp was closed after the
install asked for ports.inf and my Win95 didn't have it. Then the install
goes back to the ftp menu to ask for a new place to go. A similar problem
happened when I didn't include ports--the connection was closed when the
install program asked for Xfnts.inf.

***Please send me an e-mail if you need any more information--I will be
happy to supply it! Thanks again!