Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:28:37 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Torsten Blum <torstenb@vmunix.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel hangs when accessing sio0 on Compaq Armada m700

Torsten Blum stated:
: Sean O'Connell wrote:
:
: Hm, did you remove mobile@freebsd.org from Cc: by intention ?

Laziness and inconsistent behavior :)  I'll cc mobile on this.

: > I think this can be fixed by enabling the COM1 port in your
: > BIOS.  Windoze probably enables it from the BIOS setting of
: > auto (or something like that).  FreeBSD requires that you
: > have it explicity enabled and set to an irq ...
:
: It is enabled, but this BIOS doesnt allow me to assign any resources, be it
: irq or dma etc. Just enable/disable it.

Hmmmm... yucko.  Does the bios have a setting for either "Plug and Play OS"
or "Supported OS" or something like that.  Although, you dmesg looks OK
and it finds the usb and pcm stuff fine ... grrr.  It looks like the ISA
bus isn't being properly handled on this machine.

You might also want to see if there is a windows config utitity for these
boxes (IBM has one for some Thinkpads that diddles with NVRAM settings that
let config the irq and port for the serial devices and enable/disable them).

Do you have the latest BIOS (rompaq) for this machine?

What happens if you take out the smbus stuff?

: > (Although this is being recognized by adding
: >
: > options PNPBIOS
: >
: > to the kernel config and replacing all the device sioN at ... with
: > just one "device sio"
:
: Tried that, but then it doesnt find any sio interface. I put the dmesg (18k)
: on http://defiant.vmunix.org/~torstenb/dmesg-pnp-verbose.

: But that reminded me to do a pnpscan -v on the bootprompt. Result:

: Probing ISA bus...
: Probing PCI BIOS...
: PNP scan summary:
: PNP0c04

[snip]

: PNP0501

grep PNP0501 /sys/isa/sio.c
        {0x0105d041, "16550A-compatible COM port"},     /* PNP0501 */

PNP0501: adding io range 0-0xffffffff, size=0, align=0
PNP0501: adding irq mask 0000
PNP0501: end config
pnpbios: handle 13 device ID PNP0501 (0105d041)

But then further down, you get

unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0501> at port 0x10 on isa0

[snip]

: PNP0e03
: PNP0c02
: 0x71118086 : IDE controller
: 0x12298086 : Ethernet controller
: 0x4c4d1002 : VGA display
: 0x044511c1 : 8250 serial controller   <<< Winmodem (see below)
: 0x71128086 : USB controller

: Now that's interesting. A pciconf -l prints:

:fxp0@pci0:9:0:class=0x020000 card=0x22038086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x09 hdr=0x00
:none0@pci0:9:1:class=0x070000 card=0x22038086 chip=0x044511c1 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00

: The chipid of pci0:9:1 matches the 8250 serial controller entry I got with
: pnpscan -v on the boot prompt. Now that looks interesting.

That chip is the LT Winmodem by AT&T Microelectronics.  See

http://www.yourvote.com/pci/pciread.asp?venid=0x11c1

HTH,
Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU