Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 06:20:22 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        George Vagner <lvagner@ibm.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp autologout

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, George Vagner wrote:
>
> >how do I make it so users that forget to log out using
> >ftp get automatically logged out?
>
> ftpd -T timeout in inetd.conf or wherever you start ftpd.
>
> man ftpd

I had a similar problem to the original poster.

What appeared to be happening in my case was that client connections were failing in mid
transfer. This can apparently leave ftpd in an indefinite wait. I was advised to try the
following to clear out these connections:

# sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1

This seems to have done the job. I believe it kills idle connections after 4 hours.

From man ftpd:

     -T      A client may also request a different timeout period; the maximum
             period allowed may be set to timeout seconds with the -T option.
             The default limit is 2 hours.

     -t      The inactivity timeout period is set to timeout seconds (the de-
             fault is 15 minutes).

The clients I've used don't automatically up the timeout from the value set by -t, and so
connections normally timeout after 15 minutes. Even if the client does increase the
timeout, it is constrained by the -T setting, which defaults to 2 hours. From George's
original post, you can see connections still alive that are days old. I assume he hadn't
changed either timeout setting for ftpd.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna