Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:19:48 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Accessing system monitor data?

Can someone point me in the right direction for accessing the system
hardware monitor data?  I am running 4.1.1-stable (as of 10/21) on an
ASUS A7V MB.  I have included all of the seemingly related configuration
lines in my kernel config file from the LINT file:

device          smbus
device          intpm
device          alpm
device          ichsmb
device          smb

device          iicbus          # Bus support, required for ic/iic/iicsmb below.
device          iicbb
device          ic
device          iic
device          iicsmb          # smb over i2c bridge

device          bktr

(I included them all as I have no idea what, if any, of them work with
my MB).

I have built the smb0 device:

crw-------  1 root  wheel  106,   0 Oct 22 09:16 /dev/smb0

If I try lmmon w/o the -i flag I get:

root@luke:p3 /dev> lmmon
Failed to open device /dev/smb0.
If your system does not support intpm(4),
try to use /dev/io (-i flag) or check
the permissions of /dev/smb0.

and if I run lmmon with the -i flag I get:

root@luke:p3 /dev> lmmon -i

 Motherboard Temp               Voltages

 255C / 491F / 528K        Vcore1:   +3.984V
                           Vcore2:   +3.984V
    Fan Speeds             + 3.3V:   +3.984V
                           + 5.0V:   +6.654V
    1:    0 rpm            +12.0V:  +15.938V
    2:    0 rpm            -12.0V:  -15.938V
    3:    0 rpm            - 5.0V:   -6.654V

which appear to be bogus values (and don't jive with the BIOS menu
reported values at all).

Does anybody know if my MB supports either of these interfaces?  If not,
is there another way to display this information (I am trying to track
down a system reset problem that I think might be power supply or heat
related).

Thanks for any pointers advice you can give,

Bob

--
Bob Willcox                   hatred, n:
bob@VIEO.com                      A sentiment appropriate to the occasion of