Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 09:12:14 -0600
From:      Kevin Brown <kbrown@primelink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD in a multi-processor/machine array

Greetings,

I am beginning to do some procurement of smaller 286, 386, and 486 machines
(ISA/VESA architecture) from the state surplus. It seems they are making
moves throughout the state system to get on Pentium class machines in a
hurry. (No doubt to support the MS bloatware).  Anyway, they are selling
off these older machines for about $5 each.

I expect to take delivery of about 20-40 machines, and am looking for a way
to breath some new life into them using FreeBSD.  Is there an easily
deployable mechanism in FreeBSD which would allow me to any/all of the
following:

1) Maintain one central server (dual pentium) with full FreeBSD source.
2) Allow the smaller machines to boot their operating system from the
central server utilizing perhaps only a floppy drive.
3) Provision the machines so that they rely upon the mass processing
abilities of their neighbors to complete tasks.
4) Where applicable share drive space across an Ethernet or Fast Ethernet
connection.
5) Allow remote users to login via telnet or ssh to the central server and
have  the ability to harness the full processing ability of the array.
Without having to play magical chairs on logging into multiple machines.

I am still in the planning stages on this, and am looking for good solid
ideas from past experience, minimum requirements per machine, etc.  Please
send all replies to me directly:  kbrown@primelink.com

Thanks much for the assistance!

Kevin Brown
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Kevin Brown   --   Networking Technologies
Huber & Associates
IBM Business Partner
Cisco Authorized Reseller
<kbrown@primelink.com>