Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:47:56 -0500
From:      Paul Dlug <paul@nerdlabs.com>
To:        freebsd-admin@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SLIP/PPP over direct serial link

--------------0CE0982B457802AFDF6EBA27

Perhaps someone can help me out with this one, I've been playing with it
since early this morning without much progress. Here is my problem: I
have two laptops, one running linux, one running freebsd. My friend has
succeeded in totally messing up the freebsd laptop and would like me to
reinstall freebsd "properly" on it. So as to avoid losing his data I'd
like to copy it over to the other linux laptop, the fbsd laptop doesn't
have an ethernet card so I thought a serial link might be the best
option. I have a nice rs232 cable setup between them and the freebsd
machine setup to recieve incoming slip connections (freebsd's slip
server seemed eaiser to work with than linux). I cannot figure out how
to establish a link between the two...both have docs that talk about
doing this over a modem, but over a direct cable? Can this be done? if
so..what am I missing??

--
Paul Dlug
Unix/Web Programmer

--------------0CE0982B457802AFDF6EBA27

Perhaps someone can help me out with this one, I've been playing with it
since early this morning without much progress. Here is my problem: I have
two laptops, one running linux, one running freebsd. My friend has succeeded
in totally messing up the freebsd laptop and would like me to reinstall
freebsd "properly"&nbsp;on it. So as to avoid losing his data I'd like
to copy it over to the other linux laptop, the fbsd laptop doesn't have
an ethernet card so I thought a serial link might be the best option. I
have a nice rs232 cable setup between them and the freebsd machine setup
to recieve incoming slip connections&nbsp;(freebsd's slip server seemed
eaiser to work with than linux). I&nbsp;cannot figure out how to establish
a link between the two...both have docs that talk about doing this over
a modem, but over a direct cable? Can this be done? if so..what am I&nbsp;missing??
<pre>--&nbsp;
Paul Dlug
Unix/Web Programmer
paul@nerdlabs.com</pre>