Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        "J.M. Warenda" <warendaj@home.com>
Cc:        Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, J.M. Warenda wrote:

>     Thanks, I'm going to read up on all that ... and if you recommend that
> book I might pick it up, too.

I bought the book at Borders back in the FreeBSD-3.x days; I haven't
seen it lately. You could probably get them to order it for you.

>     I'm only a little discouraged now because the picture is bowing like a
> bitch, curved inwards on the sides ... the monitor is old, can't adjust that
> anywhere ... I used xvidtune to make it fit the screen better but can't seem
> to do anything about the curvature.  I wish I better understood how X picked
> what rate for what mode ... since I'm not sure what knowing 31.5-64 / 50-90
> tells me ... it's running 1024x768 @ 16bpp.  Well, I'll play some, hopefully
> the monitor lives through it :>

All that stuff you mention is in Greg's book: It basically comes down
to counting dots on the screen together with the time for retrace.
Then given the number of dots that you want to display and the
refresh rate that you want determines the clock rate. Sorry for the
simplistic explanation. Its more complicated then that, so you should
probably get the book. Incidentally, the book is a great resource
for FreeBSD in general, so you won't regret getting it anyway.

Do you know about /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc? There are some READMEs in there
as well as a file called "Monitors" which lists a lot of monitor
configurations. Also, a file called README.Config is helpful. Finally,
for tuning your configuration look at VideoModes.doc.

			Ed