Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:44:16 -0600
From:      Kevin McEnhill <mcenhillk@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making packages from /usr/ports

Howdy,

First off, I would like to say that the build mechanism for the ports is VERY
impressive! I have been studying them for the past couple of days now and I
hope I will be able to understand the entire process some day.

Now for my question. I have been playing around with KDE2 from the STABLE
cvsup tree. When I build a port I issue the command `# make package`. The
port is downloaded, compiled, installed, and made into a package. The problem
is that the ports that were installed as dependecies are not made into
packages, they are just installed. If I then do a `# make package`, make
complains loadly that the port is already installed and quits with an `Error
1`. I know it is already installed, I just want to package it up. Is there an
enviromental variable that I can set to make the build process do a `# make
package` instead of a `# make install`? Is there a clean way of building
packages out of the ports that have already installed themselfs?

Thanks