Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:14:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing DragonFly BSD!

:Hi Matt,
:
:  I hope this project manages to explore new boundaries of performance
:and am pleased that you chose the FreeBSD stable development branch as
:a suitable starting point for your endeavors.  I hope Dragonfly will
:produce the same kinds of synergies with the FreeBSD Project that our
:ongoing relationships with NetBSD, OpenBSD, and various Linux projects
:have.  I'm especially interested in seeing you succeed with your
:package management goals, where many other attempts have failed in
:that area.
:
:  For our part, we're planning to release FreeBSD 4.9 with PAE support
:merged at the beginning of September.  We certainly haven't ruled out
:further 4.X releases after that time either.  As usual, our release
:related plans are available from http://www.FreeBSD.org/releng.
:
:  Good luck,
:
:  - Murray

    Thanks Murray.  For the record, it is my intention to incorporate
    whatever work is committed to the FreeBSD-4 branch for as long as it
    is possible to do so.  Even though the CVS trees are not compatible (I
    started mine as a fresh non-branched import), I very carefully
    documented the base revs that I started my CVS tree from in the
    initial import/commit message precisely to make it possible to write
    a script to track changes made in RELENG_4.  I probably am not going to
    merge the new RELENG_4 work for several months, but it is definitely
    part of the plan.

    I don't expect there to be significant performance differences between
    DragonFly and RELENG_4 for some time due to the fact that we do not
    intend to remove the MP lock until it becomes trivial to do so, which will
    be months away.  At some point the fixed VFS layering in DragonFly is
    going to make it possible to develop VFS-based features that only 5.x
    has now, but far more generically, and in a userland development
    environment, and that is the point where the old RELENG_4 will not be
    able to keep up.  My best guess is that that point is a good 6 months
    away at least.

						-Matt