Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:51:29 -0400
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@targetnet.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   rndcontrol with > 16 interrupts

Are there any plans to allow rndcontrol to accept greater than 16 interrupts
on SMP machines ?  On my ASUS XG-DLS board, all the interesting interrupts
that I want to use to stir the entropy pool are greater than 16.
Examination of sys/i386/i386/mem.c on RELENG_3, RELENG_4 and HEAD all have
this comment and code snippet:

        /*
	 * XXX the data is 16-bit due to a historical botch, so we use
	 * magic 16's instead of ICU_LEN and can't support 24 interrupts
	 * under SMP.
	 */
	intr = *(int16_t *)data;
	if (cmd != MEM_RETURNIRQ && (intr < 0 || intr >= 16))
		return (EINVAL);

I don't exactly understand what ICU_LEN refers to or if there are technical
reasons that we can't support 24 interrupts, but the present situation
leaves me with a powerful machine that can't take advantage of /dev/random
at all (the pool has so little to feed off of that reads of even small
amounts of data block).

Can anyone shed some light ?

TIA.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                           james@targetnet.com
Targetnet.com Inc.                              Voice/Fax +1 416 306-0466/0452