Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:56:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        crli@crli.com (Joe Walsh)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit:

> When I was doing freelance writing, my editor required that all
> electronic manuscripts be submitted with 1 space following each
> sentence, rather than 2.  I believe the typographical layout
> software (such as Quark) then figures out how much actual space
> to put after the punctuation based on the needs of the line as
> it will be printed.

I seem to recall that troff source does not look like the final
typeset output either... amazingly, neither does Postscript.

It seems to me that, like Grafitti on the Palm Pilot, this is
just a case of adapting the human to the deficiencies in the
software, rather than the other way around.

In other words, you weren't sending your editor text, you were
sending your editor "source code".

Kind of like FreeBSD's rc file arrangement, or installation
procedures, compared to, say, Windows (which is itself less
than cognizant of humans, but at least it's more cognizant than
FreeBSD seems to be.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---