Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 21:37:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Y_Edwin_Tang@ccmail.ed.ray.com
Cc:        support@cdrom.com, cybertang@worldnet.att.net, questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: unable to load FreeBSD

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996 Y_Edwin_Tang@ccmail.ed.ray.com wrote:

>      After boot from the boot disk and selected CDROM as the boot medium, a
>      message indicates that I do not have a CDROM.
>
>      I called in for help and was suggested to ensure the CDROM is not on
>      the soundboard and is configured as slave.  The CDROM is connected to
>      the mother board IDE port, and is defaulted as a slave.
>
>      So what else can I do??

Do what you do to TV programs you don't like:  change it!  Try moving the
CDROM around on the IDE bus(ses), ie slave->master, controller 2->
controller 1, etc.  Also make sure that the controller the CDROM is on is
configured properly during bootup or in -c.

>      Also, what driver should I use?  The CDROM is an Acer 8X.  I do have
>      the driver for it.  I am using NT workstations and trying to have dual
>      boot capability to also run BSD.

ATAPI would be my guess.  The IDE controller driver will pick it up
properly, IF AND ONLY IF you use the ATAPI.FLP image for your boot floppy.