Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:12:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, wjw@digiware.nl, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blocking a string in a packet using ipfw

Gary Palmer wrote:
 > Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
 > > I received a call from a customer this morning that all of his websites were
 > > no longer on line. So After some resetting and more I turnout that there
 > > was a
 > > serious overload on his server. Over 500 clients connected. (norm is 50) and
 > > they were all trying to get this file 777.gif. (Which is not on any of the
 > > sites).
 >
 > Why not just create a 0 length file 777.gif and let people fetch it?
 > Its probably a lot less work for the server.

I don't think so.  The overhead in Apache for serving
a file is quite big.  On the other hand, IPFW tables
store IP addresses in a radix tree, which should be
quite efficient even for 100,000 entries.

By the way:  If incoming bandwidth is a concern, it is
probably better to use "reset" instead of "deny" in the
IPFW rule.  If you use deny, the packets are simply
dropped, causing the clients to retransmit their SYN
packets several times, while "reset" (which here means
"connection refused") causes no TCP retransmits.

Best regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless