Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 09:37:57 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Russell Morrison <morrison.2@osu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron Laptops

Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 1999, Russell Morrison wrote:
>
> > Support,
> >
> > I am about to order 6 P366 Dell Inspiron laptops for our
> > engineering group.  My question is do you know if I can
> > procure all the drivers needed for FreeBSD for this product
> > line?(ie ATI 4MB Rage Pro 3D)  I talked with Dell support and
> > they informed me that they have not installed or tested
> > FreeBSD on these laptops yet.
>
> There's XFree drivers for the ATI rage line; see http://www.xfree86.org.
>
> Doug White

Unfortunately, I think that these laptops actually come with ATI Rage Pro
3D **LT** cards, which are *not* currently supported by XFree86 - the
"standard" ones are, just not the LT versions - we have three of them here
and whilst the XFree86 setup program works just fine in VGA mode, none of
the other modes can be made to work - it runs but the display is not
correct with some overlapping at the centre - and although I've tried
several times, I have been unable to get the display to use the one
detected by the setup program (not even when using it as plain VGA ->
weird).

No doubt, support for them in XFree86 will not be far away. Hopefully. :)

HTH
--
Regards                        |  _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    | /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 98, NT, Linux or better' so I installed
FreeBSD."