Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:54:31 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        Cherie&John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: slooooow ping reply and 60% packet loss on 3c509

Hiya.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 07:06:17PM -0700, Cherie&John Carri wrote:

> End result? The FreeBSD machine now can ping the WinDoze machine with
> response times ranging from one *second* to 60 *seconds* and a packet loss
> of between 95% and 65%. The longer I let the pinging go on, the better the
> packet loss number becomes, i.e it goes from 95% to 65% over several
> minutes of pinging.

I get similar behaviour on an ep which happens to be a 3C589D, which is
a PCMCIA Etherlink III.  Last week I posted here well as to freebsd-net,
but so far I've had no responses.

For more interesting information about what's going on, try using the
tcpdump command (you need a bpf pseudo-device in your kernel).  A command
line of something like:

# tcpdump -ne arp or icmp

will let you see ... well, bizarre things which I described in great
detail in freebsd-net on 2 September with the subject "laptop
weirdness", because at the time I thought this could be a PCMCIA issue.

> Anyone have any more suggestions?

Someone mentioned verbally to me not long ago that this might have
something to do with a "receive buffer bug" in the ep driver.  I have
not yet had a chance to research this and I am not C-savvy enough to
poke at driver source myself, but ... receiving does indeed seem to be
where I'm having a problem, so there's a chance that a newer cvsup will
do the trick.  But as I say, I haven't researched this.

> Is it time to get another NIC, this one of the PCI persuasion?

Probably not a bad idea, though I have 3C509's running on older builds
of FreeBSD with no problems at all.  In the past, 3C509's have been my
*favourite* ISA NIC, because they autoconfigure so nicely.  But it's
very rare that I actually need to use ISA any more, and it would probably
be wise of me to avoid situations where I'll need it in the future.  ;-)

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever       vox: +1 416 598-0000