Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:39:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wayne Bouchard <web@typo.org>
To:        chuck@ucsd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi cdrom issue

> [chop]
> > I just installed a scsi cdrom but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
> > want to function propperly. Upon boot, I get the following messages:
> >
> >   aic0 at 0x340-0x35f irq 11 on isa
> >   aic0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> >   (aic0:1:0): "TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6201TA 1037" type 5 removable SCSI 2
> >   cd0(aic0:1:0): CD-ROM can't get the size
> >
> > In the kernel, I already have SCSI_DELAY=15 enabled for another
> > device.
> >
> > I know I don't have any ID conflicts and the chain is propperly
> > terminated (this is actually the first device in a chain of three.)
> >
> > My question is first: Why the heck does the kernel care about the size
> > of the cdrom on boot? That seems more like something that mount_cd9660
> > would want to figure out.
> >
> > Second.. As a result of this, when I go to mount either /dev/cd0a or
> > /dev/cd0c, I get "device not configured" as a result of the above
> > error message.. anyone have any words of advice?
> >
> > -Wayne
>
> 1. I believe this message stems from the line:
>
>    options     "CD9660"
>
>    in your kernel config file.  This option tries to mount a CDROM at
>    boot time.  Thus, if you don't have a CD in the drive...
>    My drives work well so I've never researched the conditions on
>    the "size" statement.

Actually, this allows for the ISO 9660 file system format (the most
common cdrom layout). As with NFS or MSDOSFS, it is necessary if you
wish to have your kernel support cdroms.

At boot time, unless something is really screwy with FreeBSD, the
kernel only knows about the root file system and its swap partition. I
should not attempt to touch any other device as a file system until it
hits multiuser mode and the startup script specificaly call
/sbin/mount.

I know that some devices (notably zip drives) won't want to initialize
propperly if there is no medium present but it doesn't prevent
operation, you should just get extraneous error messages at boot
time. In my case, I inserted a CD which I know has a functioning 9660
file system present and I still got the errors.

However, not being a bonafied kernel hacker, I am not certain I can
figure this out by digging through the source code.

>    However, you should have a similar line in /etc/fstab:
>
>    /dev/cd0a        /mnt/cdrom      cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
>    which allows for:
>
>    % mount /mnt/cdrom

This merely allows for the short form of mount (instead of something
along the lines of "mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0a /cdrom"