Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 19:43:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        nickkral@sextans.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (Nick Kralevich)
Subject:   Re: more gritching on the net..

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> From: nickkral@sextans.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (Nick Kralevich)

[I'm also Cc'ing him]

> BTW, the bugs and non-features are:
>   Inability to turn on or off BROADCAST or POINTOPOINT flag for
>     loopback device.

Look at my Usenet reply.  The actual error is his interesting idea to
set the loopback device to ``BROADCAST''.  Unlike Linux (where one
might consider _this_ a bug), some of the interface flags in BSD are
considered inherent to any particular interface type and cannot be
changed (since it doesn't make any sense to change them from outside),
IFF_BROADCAST is one of them.

The bug on BSD's side is that ifconfig doesn't complain if some bozo
tries to

	ifconfig lo0 broadcast 127.255.255.255

(what he did).

>   Packets are still transmitted even though the UP flag is not turned
>     on in an interface.

Well, this is a bug, but rather a very low priority one (since i think
it does no harm to anybody).

>   non-feature:  The "rwhod" doesn't check connections to make sure they
>     are still valid before sending packets out.

Since Nick promised to fix this for Linux, i've publically hinted him
that it would be only fair to send the bug fix also to one of the BSD
camps (since it's concerning a source where Linux didn't bother to
take it from BSD).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/