Date:      Sun, 15 May 2005 13:45:17 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Summary of Adam's GNOME on BSD talk

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:39:17 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> Adam Weinberger (adamw@) gave a talk entitled, "GNOME on BSD" at BSDCan
> 2005 yesterday.  The talk started right on the dot at 1400 EDT, and was
> attended by approximately seven people (people came and went during the
> talk).  The most notable attendee was D'Arcy J.M. Cain who works on the
> pkgsrc system for NetBSD.  Hopefully Adam will make the presentation
> available in some form soon, so I won't summarize the presentation.
>
> There were a few questions at the end of the presentation.
>
> What is the current state of mono on FreeBSD?  I answered that BSD# will
> have a working version of mono 1.1.7 in the tree in about a week or so.

Right and if there are lesser than three or two offical ports that will
not work with Mono 1.1.7, then we will mark them as broke for a while
until they update to get work with Mono 1.1.7. It's no big deal, because
there are more C# apps that are already work better with Mono 1.1.7 on
FreeBSD than what we have in offical ports tree.

> When we move to GNOME 3.0, how long will GNOME 2.x be supported?  Adam
> responded that GNOME 3.0 is still in the distant future.  We will see
> GNOME 2.12 and 2.14 before 3.0 comes out.  Once that happens, it really
> depends on how quickly users migrate to the new platform.  If it's
> really quick, we will abandon the 2.x desktop quickly as well.  However,
> we will still maintain 2.x libraries for a long time to come (as is
> being done for GNOME 1.4).

adamw, do you still want to change the name (foobar2 -> foobar) if there
is no two of it?

> D'Arcy asked what problems NetBSD faces with GNOME minor updates (e.g.
> GNOME 2.8 to 2.10).  Adam mentioned the dependency changes that can
> occur in a minor update (e.g. port A now depends on port B when it did
> not before, or port A now installs files previously installed by port
> B).  He also mentioned that NetBSD's ``make update'' would handle most
> of the dependency problems, and gnome_upgrade.sh could probably be
> ported to NetBSD to solve any remaining problems.
>
> <opinion>I wish more people would have attended.  I really feel we've
> done a tremendous job with GNOME on FreeBSD, and Adam did one hell of a
> presentation.</opinion>

Thanks for do the summary, marcus! adamw just has posted his presentation,
I will check it out.

Cheers,
Mezz

--