Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Boot Manager says   F1 ?? for WINNT

On 30-Jun-99 Thomas Dean wrote:
> I installed -current on a notebook with WINNT on the disk.  The
> notebook has the ide disk limitation.  So, I chopped the disk do get
> around it.  Maybe I should buy a new notebook, but, this one works.
>
> Everything worked OK, except the boot manager.  I get:
>
>   F1 ??
>   F2 FreeBSD
>   F3 ??
>   F4 FreeBSD
>
> Pressing F1 boots WINNT, F2 boots FreeBSD. The other partitions are
> not bootable.
>
> The disk slices are:
>   1. 400MB WINNT NTFS
>   2. 120 FreeBSD /, swap, and /var
>   3. 600MB WINNT NTFS
>   4. 960MB FreeBSD /usr
>
> FDISK recognizes the partition as NTFS, etc.
>
> How do I get something other than ?? for F1 and lose F3 and F4?
>
> tomdean

You could try OS-BS (available on CD 1 in the tools/ dir or via ftp at
pub/FreeBSD/tools from any mirror).  It's much prettier and configurable, IHMO,
than BootEasy.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc