Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:57:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        stephen <stevlilley@clear.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help!!

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, stephen wrote:

> Dear sir or madam,
>
> I wanted to download the FreeBSD but I am totally lost. My system is not
> running DOS.

Win95 is really DOS 7 remember.  ;)

> What I have is this. NT server which is my usual platform (what I am
> using now as I write this email on netscape). I have NT OS files on a
> NTFS partiton, with dual boot operation with Win 95 on the another
> partition drive D: so... C: drive is a small 'active' FAT partition for
> the system boot files for both operating systems. My PC uses C: to get
> started & gives me a choice on what OS I want to use. The other
> partitions on this hard drive (FAT & NTFS) house the WIN 95, NT OS files
> and my mail etc.
>
> Now I have a second hard drive 504mb completely blank, formatted with
> FAT. I intend on installing your version of UNIX  on this drive which I
> have called Drive J:. So all I want to do is download FreeBSD off the
> net and install it on drive J:
>
> How do I do this nice & simple?
>
> If dual boot is a problem with FREE BSD & my other OS's, I can set drive
> J: maually to active before I exit NT. Then the system should boot to
> FreeBSD on drive J: and then I should use FDISK on FREEBSD ( if their is
> such a command) to switch back into NT & reboot if I wanted to go back
> to NT. This is what Microsoft says to do.

Then you certainly don't want to do it.  :)

> I would appreciate very much your help on this. I am new to UNIX & I
> figured I had better to get to know more about it so FreeBSD seems like
> the correct choice for me.

FreeBSD (And other Unices) doesn't see hard drives the same way as other
OS's.  First of all, there are no drive letters:

(In FreeBSD)

wdc0 = The First IDE Controller (Primary) (UNIX starts counting with 0)
wd0 = The First IDE Drive  (Primary Master)
wd1 = The Second IDE Drive  (Primary Slave)

wdc1 = The Second IDE Controller (Secondary)
wd2 = The Third IDE Drive  (Secondary Master)
wd3 = The Fourth IDE Drive  (Secondary Slave)

Second of all, what other OS's call partitions, FreeBSD calls "slices":

wd0s1 = The First slice on the Primary Master IDE Drive.  (Commonly C: in
DOS)

And Third of all, FreeBSD further divides "slices" into (now this is
confusing) "partitions" (Somewhat analogous to Logical Partitions in
Extended Partitions in DOS):

wd1s1a = The First partition on the First slice on the Primary Slave IDE
Drive.  (Commonly the root filesystem "/")

That little bit of info, plus everything available in the FAQ and Handbook
on the website should get you going.  You'll probably find the most
useful information at
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html/.