Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:54:35 -0500
From:      Kirk R.Wythers <kwythers@umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.5 - >4.6 stable, lost users and passwords

I just did the whole cvsup, make world, mergemaster thing... So far as I =
can=20
tell, all of my user files in ~/ are there (single user workstation), but=
 I=20
my username is not recognized, and I can't su to root. If I login as root=
, no=20
password is required. I'm not at the machine in question right now, but a=
s I=20
am writing this it seems as if the password file is gone (I may have mess=
ed=20
up with mergemaster).=20

Any ideas as to recovery?

Thanks a ton,