Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:10:00 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "ScaryG" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>, "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>, "Fuji Zhang" <fzhang3@csd.uwo.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: high speed internet connection and lesstif question

<snip>
Really? This is still goofy? I re-read over the PPPoE section in the
handbook and was happy to see you could just run with it without compiling.
I wonder why the handbook would suggest recompiling the kernel with the four
options is not required when you say it is? Odd.
<snip>

Ver 4.4 (and I believe 4.3) will indeed take care of the NETGRAPH stuff,
but has to load it on the fly if not compiled into the kernel.... prior ro
4.3, I believe it HAS to be compiled.

At 03:39 PM 11.22.2001 -0500, ScaryG wrote:
>> I believe your [Fuji Zhang's] best bet is to forget the USB,
>> part with you're $25 -> $30 (CDN) and pick up an
>> ethernet card. Make sure it's on this list:
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT
>
> Couldn't agree more!
>
>> A few good reasons to stick with Ethernet:
>>
>> - It will also work with a cable modem if you decide to try Rogers/Shaw
>> - or any other ISP's DSL package
>> - If you decide to share the connection with more than 1 computer via BB
>> router (Link-Sys, SMC Barricade, etc) you'll already be prepared. These
>> goodies cost under $140 CDN and you get the benefit of an IP firewall as
>> well.
>
> More good info. I often wondered if I should have just broke down and
>bought a Netgear RT314 and saved me some grief configuring my FreeBSD box
>but hey, I had all the stuff here and it didn't cost me anything but time. I
>have two NICS in my box in which the second feeds a hub and my other
>machines.
>
> But for those not willing to goof around with NAT and IPFW in addition to
>trying PPPoE the Internet Gateway gadgets are a nice idea.
>
>> ScaryG has it right about the ppp.conf and kernel config. I -did- have to
>> re-compile my 4.4 kernel to get it to work, the handbook does appear to be
>> wrong on this.
>
> Really? This is still goofy? I re-read over the PPPoE section in the
>handbook and was happy to see you could just run with it without compiling.
>I wonder why the handbook would suggest recompiling the kernel with the four
>options is not required when you say it is? Odd.
>
> Oh well, rock on with your bad self.
>
>--
>I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
>Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin