Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 00:21:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.7 crash during "monthly" maintenance batch

> Here's yet more info. The system is a 486DX4/100 made by Zeos. 16 MB of RAM,
> WD 2.5 GB IDE drive, Artisoft AE-3 network adapter (it's an NE2000 clone),
> several multiport serial cards. I can post the output from dmesg if it'd
> help. Worked like a champ up until the upgrade, is now rebooting spontaneously
> when I run heavy-duty apps. Also rebooted during a kernel recompile.

A number of the Artisoft cards running in 16 bit mode instead of8-bit
mode were well known to have a byte-swap problem for the last byte
of an odd length packet.

The workaround was to either run in 8-bit mode, or to do the swap in
the driver if you detected one of these cards (also to never send odd
length packets).

This could be related to the crash, if you are running a different
driver.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---