Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 11:05:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, a brody <abrody@smart.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is Mac OS X in your ports page?

On Sunday, 27 May 2001 at  0:19:47 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On  Saturday, May 26, 2001 7:22 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
>> a brody wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear FreeBSD,
>>> Technically isn't Mac OS X a PowerPC port of FreeBSD?
>>> I would think it belongs here:
>>
>> I think that if you check your sources, you'll find that OSX isn't quite
>> "a port of FreeBSD"
>> First off, it doesn't even use the FreeBSD kernel, it uses Mach (unless
>> I'm misinformed).
>> And while it has a lot of code from the FreeBSD project in it, it really
>> is its own animal. I think some of the more serious hackers on the
>> FreeBSD project (as well as some of those involved with Darwin) could
>> give you a plethora of technical reasons why OSX is not FreeBSD.
>>
>> Mainly, however, would be that it's not supported and developed by the
>> FreeBSD project, so it really doesn't have any place on the web page.
>
> I agree with Bill but let me point out that the Whistle Interjet
> is also a commercial project that was built on FreeBSD, and it
> has mention on the FreeBSD website.  (although not on that
> particular page)
>
> While the URL is the wrong place for MacOS X, I think that it's
> hypocritical to completely ignore it's existence on
> http://www.freebsd.org yet at the same time mention so many other
> commercial projects that grew out of FreeBSD.  The connection
> _should_ be mentioned somewhere - after all Apple listed FreeBSD 3.X
> specifically on it's website for at least a _year_ in connection
> with MacOS X.

I don't think this is hypocrisy, it's lack of motivation.  You say it
should be mentioned somewhere, but not where.  Find a good place to
mention it, do the mentioning, and we'll see that it gets there.

> This is, after all, not something that we should be ashamed of,
> regardless of anyones personal feelings about Mac's, but rather
> quite the reverse.

I don't think there's any particular animosity towards the Mac.  Most
of us are pretty happy that Apple is using BSD.

Greg