Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:58:45 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl's and mutexes

Pardon an outsider's question, but what exactly are these mutex's
supposed to protect?  Would a reader of a sysctl value have to
acquire a read lock in order to read a non-atomic value?

Is the rate at which these values are set and/or read so high
as to justify more than a single mutex for the lot?  Are there
any operations that take long enough that anything other than
a spinlock is justified?

Sorry if these are dumb questions - I'm just a KISS sort of guy.

Barney Wolff