Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:04:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   inetsw, struct protosw and struct ipprotosw

Just looking in /sys/netinet and I see this:

(freefall:~/src/sys/netinet) grep 'inetsw' *.c | grep protosw
in_proto.c:struct ipprotosw inetsw[] = {
in_proto.c:      (struct protosw *)inetsw,
in_proto.c:      (struct protosw *)&inetsw[sizeof(inetsw)/sizeof(inetsw[0])], 0,
ip_fil.c:extern struct  protosw inetsw[];
ip_icmp.c:extern        struct protosw inetsw[];
ip_input.c:extern       struct ipprotosw inetsw[];
ip_mroute.c:            extern struct protosw inetsw[];
ip_output.c:extern      struct protosw inetsw[];

To me this looks like a recipe for disaster.

Why is there "struct ipprotosw inetsw" and "struct protosw inetsw" ?

Does this really mean that someone wanted to change "struct protosw"
and instead made up "struct ipprotosw" and are trying to squeeze that
somehow into "protosw" ?

Ideally I should be able to put inetsw into a header file and extern it,
but with this, I don't see how that would make sense...

Darren