Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:41:33 +0000
From:      Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Bind in a sandbox how-to

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:21:38PM -0800, Michael W. Collette wrote:
> Just this evening I was attempting to run through the steps presented in the
> handbook for configuring Bind to run in a sandbox.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/dns.html
>
> Was going along pretty good until I got to the following steps in the
> procedure.
>
> # cd /usr/src/libexec/named-xfer && make NOSHARED=yes all
> # cp named-xfer /etc/namedb/bin && chmod 555 /etc/namedb/bin/named-xfer
>
> The compile appears to crunch away without error, but I don't see anything in
> the directory except for the Makefile.  It never creates a file called
> "named-xfer" anywhere that I can see.
>
> I then tried updating my sources with cvs.  Went through and did a make clean
> on all the previous steps, and remade that stuff.  Got back to the same
> point, same problem.
>
> Is the procedure flawed?  Did I miss a step along the line someplace?

Hi Michael,

I wrote that section, so bear with me as if it is wrong then I need to
do something about it.

You're the second person to mention this, but I've been totally unable to
reproduce this problem on anything post 4.1.1-RELEASE (and I don't have any
other versions to test).

After following that document I end up with :

root@amam named-xfer# pwd
/usr/src/libexec/named-xfer
root@amam named-xfer# ls
Makefile        named-xfer      named-xfer.o    pathnames.h     tmp_version.o
db_glue.o       named-xfer.8.gz ns_glue.o       tmp_version.c

It seems that the initial report of a problem was due to pilot error, but it
was the exact same error which worries me; I need a bit more information since
I can't reproduce the problem.

Is there any chance that you could step through the whole document again
while running under script to catch the output (mail me if you don't know how
to do this) ?

What version of FreeBSD are you running ?

Thanks,

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on