Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:54:50 +0800
From:      "Mathias Koerber" <mathias@koerber.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   More partitions on a single slice?

Hi,

I am familiar with Linux, and just trying to install FreeBSD on my new
notebook.

The FreeBSD Manual on one hand explains that it is better having
separate filesystems for /var, /tmp etc.
But on the other hand there seems to be severe restriction on
partitions available in the one FreeBSD slice on my harddisk.
(The manual also claims that disklabel prefers the 'e' partition for
non-root filesystems. There seems to be a basic assumption here
that everything non-root goes into a single partition, or
that additional physical disks (or slices) are available).

I want to create:
    / (ro)
    /usr (ro)
    /var
    /home
    /tmp
    /usr/local
    swap
    /u0
and potentially more.

However, disk partitions only seem to go up to ad0s1h.

When I use the disklabel editor, it lets me devine additional
partitions, but names the devive /dev/dsk/X? Later mount complains
that that does not exist.

And no, I do not want to scarifice another slice (BIOS partition)
as I need that for Linux.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Mathias Koerber
mathias@koerber.org