Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 22:51:23 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
Cc:        Rob Simons <rob@simplex.nl>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd acting up

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.950917160606.17397A-100000@aries.ai.net>, Network Coo
rdinator writes:
>> My guess is that is your problem. Unfortunately, I don't have time at
>> the minute to track it down, but I've heard similar complaints from
>> others about this, and I think that the proxyarp stuff is involved.

>Well pppd doesn't die for us, and we aren't usign proxyarp.

Ah. Oops. Sorry.

I should have been clearer:

I believe that the proxyarp flag causes the pppd to go beserk and
consume lots of processor time for no apparent reason. I knew someone
who ran pppd and his machine never saw a processor load below 1.0 as a
result. The fact that the proxyarp flag doesn't work, and is common in
both these situations makes me suspicious.

The friend also despaired of pppd not hanging up cleanly, and hacked
together a script which ping'ed the remote end every so often and
killed the pppd if it didn't reply. A hack, but it work(ed).

Sorry for any confusion.

Gary