Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 96 14:44:21 +0100
From:      David Hedley <hedley@cs.bris.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   symlinks misfeature?

Having just done man 7 symlinks, I notice that it says symlinks are not
owned by the user that created them, but rather by the owner of the
directory. This is all very well until a user creates a symlink in /tmp
and then finds out they can't remove it as the symlink is 'owned' by
root (the owner of the directory), and /tmp has the sticky bit set.

Is there any solution to this problem? I realise (being documented) it
isn't really a bug, but surely this behaviour is not desirable? If there
is a workaround for it I would knowing appreciate it!

Regards,

David
--
 David Hedley (David.Hedley@bris.ac.uk)