Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 01:41:32 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting Linux with FreeBSD booter (hack needed)

I have a notebook PC with Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD on it.
I installed the FreeBSD booter into the Master Boot Record (MBR).
Using that, I can boot Windows or FreeBSD.  But Linux doesn't
show up as a boot choice, because I installed it into a "dos
extended" partition (slice), to keep linux from (ridiculously)
eating up half (two) of the tiny number of disk slices (it normally
wants a whole partition (slice) just for swap).  This way linux
only takes up one of the four slices.

Now since the MBR booter "knows" that you don't boot DOS/Windows
from an "extended" partition (type 5), it doesn't offer it as
a boot choice.  Now I could probably hack the booter (boot0 ?)
to accept type 5 as a valid choice.  But before I risk losing
my whole (work) disk by messing with the MBR :), does anyone know if
I do this, and install LILO (the linux loader) into my "extended"
partition, will the MBR booter find the LILO booter to really
be able to boot Linux?  Or will the "extended dos" partition
still confuse the MBR booter - that is, not find LILO where it
expects it?

BTW, I tried using LILO as the MBR booter, but all it does is
print "L" and "00 00 " over and over.  I'm guessing because it's
a large (> 8GB) disk that it's getting confused, as I've used
it before (on < 8GB) to boot win/linux/freebsd...

Thanks,
Gary