Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:50:21 -0600
From:      Clayton Tycksen <clay@tycksen.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>, John Martinez <john@mtbiker.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web email

[From the originator of this thread:]
docs-

i think what you mention, ted, is incredibly informative, being a newbie
to freebsd. - the last thing I want is a situation where i'm the dog
chasing the tail.

* * *
just to change the direction of this conversation a bit, i did just
discover another option for a web-based mail application. it is one i've
just barely located, which is a one-step install, self-extracting perl
script.  it has been fully tested on freebsd.

the entire application is written in perl.  the only prerequisites are
that you need to already have sendmail or other mail running, perl 5 or
newer, and a pop server running.  if you have that, you can run this
perl script and it will ask you like 4 questions and you're done. voila,
webmail.  and, you don't have to be root to install it.

the application as as far as i can tell is excellent.  it does have some
ad banners that run, but for $49.00 you can get a license that lets you
either customize the ad banners to earn your own revenues, or remove
them altogether.

i don't think i spent more than 3 minutes downloading and installing it,
start to finish.

the sources can be had here:  http://www.adjeweb.com

clayton tycksen