Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 15:36:31 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel hacker tasks seek interested hackers

On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

[snip]

> 7.      [medium] The current naming for ptys doesn't scale that
> 	well.  Changing it to ttyp%d / pty%d would probably be a
> 	good idea in the long run, but the ramifications are
> 	relatively widespread (think: "ports")

Which while being scaleable in one direction (you can have things like
/dev/pty1234567890) as it is essentialy open ended, on the other hand:

	a) pty/tty names are now variable length
	b) the name length advances quite quickly as we add more ptys
	c) it is a totaly new "look and feel"

So why not instead:

	a) have a constant that tells how long the tty name "suffix "is
	   supposed to be (#define TTY_NAMSUFL	4, for example)
	b) encode the tty name as:
		pty/ttykl..l
	where k=[p-sP-S]
	and   l=[0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv]
	and the number of l-s is the number given above in TTY_NAMSUFL

The current system would just be one where the number of "l-s" is
hardwired to 1.

Anybody who has been looking at tty names is used to base-32 anyways 8-)

> Poul-Henning
>
> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.