Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:21:12 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        FD FD FD <fdfdfd@student.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Technical Question -> booting with floppies

In the last episode (Feb 16), FD FD FD said:
> Hi, i want to install FreeBSD 4.4 on my pc with the bootable floppies.
>
> My configuration:
>  IBM 486 (to be exact: "IBM PS/2 486 SLC3")
>  8 RAM
>  2 HDD (IBM 548MB & IBM 200MB) both are totally empty (not formatted)
>  Complete SCSI system
>  Complete MCA system (no isa, pci.. , but MicroChannel)
>  hidden partition with bios on it

You probably won't be able to install 4.4 on this system; the installer
needs at least 12MB to run I believe.  Once installed, it will run on 8
(slowly, but it will run :).  Borrow more memory for the install and
take it out afterwards, if necessary.

> I have made the floppies with fdimage and started my computer
>
> then, I get the following message:
>
>     Disk error 0x4 (lba=0x10)
>     Disk error 0x4 (lba=0x10)

I've seen this happen when the drive that I formatted the floppies on
and the drive that I'm trying to boot them on are out of alignment with
respect to each other.  If you can, try formatting the floppies on the
PS/2 machine first, or if you can't, format them twice on the other
machine before running fdimage (or rawrite).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com