Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:13:43 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (José Mª Alcaide)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to install the new boot manager?

José Mª Alcaide wrote:
> Robert Nordier wrote:
> >
> > You can also use the simple utility at
> >
> >     http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/boot0inst-1.0.2.tar.gz
> >

> Thanks! It works. And now also I know how to use disklabel(8) for
> the same thing (thanks to John Saunders).

I wasn't aware you could trick disklabel into doing that.  The
disklabel command is really meant to honor slices (PC partitions)
transparently, and *shouldn't* write outside a slice.

> One little question: why isn't your bootinst utility integrated
> in 3.0-CURRENT?

I guess it could be.  A DOS version would also be handy for folks
who use Windows, which tends to overwrite the boot manager without
asking.

Ideally, one should be able to compile both FreeBSD and DOS versions
from the same code (using Bruce's C compiler in ports, for instance).

But so many more exciting things (like rearranging one's sock
drawer, or cleaning out the washing machine lint filter) keep coming
up, where DOS is involved. :-)

--
Robert Nordier