Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 1999 02:12:04 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PNIC problems: duplex contradiction & dropped packets

I am running a Kingston KNE110TX (82c169) card under FreeBSD 3.2-BETA
connected to an Asante 8+2 switch.  I have been having two (almost
certainly related) problems:

1)  The switch always seems to think the card is in half-duplex mode.  The
only way to get the switch's LEDs to show FDX is to use 'autoselect' but
even then if I power cycle the switch it will show half duplex again.  The
LEDs on the card always show FDX, unless of course I manually set it to half.

2)  When the BSD box is on a 100MB segment, anything more than minimal
traffic will cause loss of data.  For example, I can telnet into it OK, but
upon running 'lptest' I will get dumped.  Also I could FTP into it, but
getting a large directory listing will cause the client to hang.

I can do more testing and provide more information, but first I thought I'd
see if this is a known problem.  I've tried a few different cables, but not
many.  Anyone know what I'm looking at here?  funky drivers.. bad
hardware.. losing my mind???

later,

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com