Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:49:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Bruce Alsaker <bruceall@willmar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Bruce Alsaker wrote:

>hi I have just one question. I only know the Phrozen crew Or pc98
>created an operating sys called linux . Are you the same group?  I know
>this because some jerk asked them why they wernt smart enought o make
>their own system when they can hack so good . Their reply was they did
>make a system & it's called linux . Is this operating system better than
>unix then?
>
>Thanks
>controler

We are not the same group. We develop, use, and advocate FreeBSD.

FreeBSD and Linux are not better than unix. They are unix. The term "unix"
is used to refer to a family of operating systems who's lineage dates back
to 1970. Unix(tm) is also a trade mark for people willing to pay to use
it.

No one group made Linux really. Search the net for "linus torvalds" to
find out about who created the Linux kernel.

I am going to assume by your lack of punctation, capitalization, nick name
that you have been following the "HaCkeRs" world. You have no idea what is
going on in the real unix world and some dumb kids tried to tell their
clan created Linux. Not so!

The unix world is really much larger than a bunch of dumb people with
hokie cracker clan affilliations. Go to the websites and read and get some
real knowledge. Don't listen to these childish rumors. The straight dope
is out there. Go find it.

This URL is a great place to start.
http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?help.beginners

And while your at it, install FreeBSD to learn about unix.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

The truth is out there! (...erie music...)

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/