Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 07:15:48 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Voice over IP to voice modem gatewaying using FreeBSD??

Hello all,

Bit of a general question, an "is it technically possible" type thing I suppose. What I'm
trying to do is use some voice over IP package (speak freely seems to fit the bill due to
availablity of clients for both FreeBSD and Windows), then on the FreeBSD box attach my
voice modem, and use that to dial out voice calls, and pass the audio from the voice over
IP software to the modem, and vice versa.

The modem works fine in freeBSD for user PPP. The sound card in the BSD box works fine,
and I will connect the soundcard to the modem in both directions (line in and line out
crossed over to the opposite on the other).

I suppose the main questions I have are -

1) does anyone have this sort of a setup working? I see no *techincal* reason why it
shouldn't work, it could just be the case that there is no software to do it right now.

2) what software could I use so that windows clients could cause a dial out of a voice
call to any specified number on the FreeBSD box?

TIA.
Mark