Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:56:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
Cc:        "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>, "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multihomed Routing

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Bakul Shah wrote:

> Wouldn't listening to/soliciting router discovery ICMP
> messages on your hosts take care of this? See RFC 1256.
> Supposedly FreeBSD `routed' already does this.  When you have
> multiple routers in your network this ought to be better than
> hardwiring a default gateway on your hosts.  But you
> shouldn't need to run RIP or OSPF on your hosts.

	Sure that will work.  However, consider the following:

				Network1 (2000 IP's)

			   |---Router1

		machine1---|

			   |---Router2 (default gateway)

	What happens to Router2 when machine1 is trying to access the IP's
	on Router1's network?  Router2 gets clogged down sending ICMP
	redirects for Router1 back to machine1.  The problem grows
	exponetially[spelling] when you add more machines to the same
	network machine1 is on.

	Keep in mind, it only updates routes on machine1 for that IP...not
	the subnet...at least on WInBlows.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.