Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:04:41 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
Cc:        "Stephen T. Shipley" <steve@e-shipley.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crypted remote backup

What I have been doing is croning a script (as root) that
tarballs the right stuff, and then scp the file as another
user ("backup" in my case) to another box.  This way I'm not
logging in as root to copy a file over the net, and I don't
have to have sshd set up to allow root logins at all.  If
you wanted to use rsync, there are a few ways to do it, but
scp does a good job at recursively scp'ing files, although
it will do ALL files every time.  You can also look into
unison, it may have some better options for you.

Eric