Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 20:28:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports installation in a different path than standard

Hello.

My intention is to install several ports into different paths
other than the default /usr/local. Setting PREFIX to the desired
path isn't the right solution, because the environment I expect to
use is a diskless environment, that means after diskless systems have
already mounted their working areas from the main fileserver, the
base PATH environment changed.

This is if I try to install pvm libraries into PREFIX=/diskless/pvmsystem/usr/local
(where /diskless/pvmsystem is the chrooted / nfs exported base filesystem for the
pvm systems) several paths and symbolic links get setup in the wrong way
while these are set when compiled.

The same problem is with X11 environment.

At the moment, I do the stuff with a self brewed script which needs to find
all the stuff installed on the local bott server for the diskless nodes
so I need to install the stuff localy first, the copy the libs and binaries
to the appropriate place within the diskless tree. As you can imagine, this
is a stupid and hard way to do.

How are you doing this? Is there a primer for FreeBSD how to setup such a
customized environment?

My intention is that I setup only a special environment variable to say the
ports collection building process that an installation should be done to
a different path as it should be used afterwards when the system is started
diskless (means: compiling with the normal PREFIX set to /usr/local, but installed
later using the target base directory where the diskless environment resides).

Can someone help?

Thnaks in advance,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)