Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:50:05 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pine 3.95 & lib.so.3.0

> I got the pine 3.95 package and used pkg_add on it, but when I
> tried to run it the library lib.so.3.0 was not found.  (This
> system is 2.1.5.)  Where might I get this?  Or did I only
> need to type ldconfig to make it work?

Another one for the FAQ, I think :-)

# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s libc.so.2.2 libc.so.3.0

(this is a slight cheat, but I wouldn't expect it to cause any problems).

Basically, you're running FreeBSD-2.1.5, with version 2.2 of the shared
C library, but the package was apparently compiled on FreeBSD-current,
which has version 3.0 of the shared C library, so it expects to find
that on any system it's run on.  If it really bothers you, you can
compile it yourself from the port, but it's probably not worth it.

BTW ldconfig is really only useful if you've made some kind of change
involving shared libraries.  Basically, the run-time linker tries to
keep track of which shared libraries are likely to be needed (so it
can look them up more quickly); ldconfig is a tool to tell it when
(and how) it needs to update its information.

> Since the package overwrote my 3.94 installation (I guess there
> is no way to avoid this with a package)

Not very easily.  You could probably track down which files the 3.94
installation had installed and copy them to a safe place before
installing 3.95, but this is not exactly user-friendly.  Maybe this
ought to go on the pkg_add wish list...