Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:29:23 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Westell Wirespeed DSL modem. PPPoE needed?

Just got a DSL modem.
Tried with windows and worked fine. There was no program to
"dial/connect" as I have seen at a friends house. All I had to
do was to configure the NT machine with the right IP and to set
the apropriate gateway.

I tried to do the same with a FreeBSD stable machine, but it
doesn't work. I tried to ping the gateway IP, but it gives me an
error "no route to host".

Do I need to use PPPoE with this modem?

Relevant lines from /etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.10.6 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet ##.###.##.147  netmask 255.255.255.0"
hostname="my machine's name"
defaultrouter="##.###.##.1"

gateway_enable="YES"            # Set to YES if this host will
be a gateway.
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quiet="NO"
natd_interface="fxp0"           # Public interface or IPaddress
to use.
natd_enable="YES"              # Enable natd (if firewall_enable
== YES).

The kernel was compiled iwth firewall and natd. /etc/services
checked and it had the natd line.

I was trying to get a router instead of a modem, but they were
out. I have a Cisco 675, from a previous DSL attempt, but I
couldn't find how to reset the password so I decided to just put
a second card on a FreeBSD machine and try to use the modem from
FreeBSD.