Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 23:08:14 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <freebsd@alson.linuxfreak.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DRI with Matrox G450/XFree86-4.0.3 in 24bpp

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:11:04AM +0100, Mark Knight wrote:
> I've had good success with my Matrox G450 on 4.3-STABLE, with a freshly
> built XFree86-4.0.3 port including the 1.2beta Matrox driver.
>
> Running at up to 1600x1200 with 24bpp is fine, using software only GLX.
>
> Enabling DRI works fine at 16bpp (testing with a newly built xlockmore)
> - and provides a significant boost.
>
> However, at 24bpp, at both 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 'xlock -modelist
> allgl -nolock', is displayed (very quickly:) in the top half of the
> screen, with random looking corruption in the lower half.
iirc, matrox dri support only works for 16 and 32 bpp. since xf4
doesn't have real 32bit support yet, it uses some overlay mode (don't
ask me for the differnce). last time i tried xf4 using overlay mode on
my mga g200, things got weird, so i reverted to 16bpp and was happy ;)

try searching for xfree 4.0 32bpp and you might find something useful,
possibly in combination with GLX.

There is some overlay option for the mga driver iirc, look for it

for Linux the use of the (binary only) mga_hal driver was
recommended/required for the matrox g450, it might be only for tv-out
though, have a look at matrox.com/mga

i've you'd need the mga_hal driver, the only solution would be to ask
matrox for a freebsd one ;)