Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:11:18 +0100
From:      Martin <nakal@nurfuerspam.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update to -STABLE breaks re(4) [CONT'D]

Here a followup:

> After reboot, re(4) "Realtek RTL8110S" could not be detected
> automatically. It is statically compiled into the kernel.
> The dmesg said something like "Could not send TCP packet in
> loopback mode" or similar.

This has been fixed for me, some time in January.

> Next, I added if_re_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf (tried
> a workaround). The PC always rebooted before reaching the
> "beastie menu".

This problem still remains. I know it's weird to load a
module while it has been compiled in statically, but
it's still a bug, IMO.

Steps to reproduce:
1) On FreeBSD/amd64, compile re(4) support into a STABLE kernel.
2) Add if_re_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf.
3) Reboot.

What happens?

After loading the kernel image, re(4) module is about to be loaded
and the machine does a a hard reset instantly.

I hope it helps to find the problem.

Martin