Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 00:38:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, gsutter@pobox.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

> >This is wrong.  If it had been locked-down software (e.g, GPL) as
> >opposed to free software, they couldn't have added more licensing
> >terms.  With any fully free license (the type the FreeBSD project
> >encourage :-) this could be done.  Anybody could take most of the
> >FreeBSD sources and do the same thing - however, we'd be likely to
> >out-develop them, so it isn't of real interest.
>
> I think competition between commercial and open source versions of the same
> software is great. It keeps the commercial developers hopping when they might
> rest on their laurels; even if they're not "out-developed," they still
> need to stay a good deal ahead of the pack or add other value (as BSDI
> does). In return for their extra effort, they can earn a good living.
>
> At the same time, the open source version provides a route for
> widespread review of the source. So, let's encourage people to take our
> source and go private if they're willing to shoulder that burden. In the
> long run, all software will get better, and we'll have more options.
> That's what, I think, we really want.

While so far I think the XFree group is the front running candidate
to whom I'd forward entry fees...

What about Tim Wilkerson, who has just released KAFFE under GPL, and
has actually implemented what appears to be the first freely available
version of classes.zip -- shrugging off the not-inconsiderable Sun JVM
licensing fees that companies must pay to use JVM?

I'm sure Tim is about to need funding for legal help to prove the
clean-room implemetnation.  Sun is apparently going to audit him
to make sure that it was a clean-room implementation.

Another potential candidate is the Willows people, who have released
their code under GPL.  It provides a Windows-compatible compilation
platform for use by appications vendors wanting to port Windows apps
to non-Windows systems; in addition, it provides for an ABI
emulation environment as part of the developement code (even though
it specifically disclaims an intent at a WABI)...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.